The data you're talking is some configuration file or something?

The application that use this data ... can decrypt the data?, or could
you add this functionality to those applications... i think your using
symmetric cryptography... that's easy... you have to use the EVP
librery...

if not... your loss... that's the meaning of security...
confidentiality and message integrity (and authentication sometimes...)

Regards AD