At 8:51 -0700 9/22/03, Wayne Rasmussen wrote:
The other thing that concerns me amongst the computer professional who just
shout out "get anti-spam/anti-virus software".   Is this the kind of right
thinking going on in computer science these days?

Pretty much, yes, that's the right answer.

Assuming we lived in a perfect world, we'd have nothing to fear. Add in a few bad people sending spam, we could rely on institutions to protect us from it. Once the bad people begin to work for the institutions, you can't trust the institutions. One person's protection from bad material is another person's censorship.

Protect yourself, leave the control of your world in your own hands. So long as the act of protection doesn't overwhelm the (net) benefit of being on the Internet, its worth it.

PS - The concept behind this isn't limited to Internet interaction.