On Mon, Sep 20, 2004, Antonio Ruiz Martínez wrote:

> Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Sep 16, 2004, Antonio Ruiz Martínez wrote:
> >

> >>I tried to put the sequence in an octet_string and with that way there
> >>is no problem but I would like to use the SEQUENCE directley if it is
> >>possible.
> >>

> >I tried that test file and it chokes several asn1 parsing tools. It looks
> >like
> >the attribute is added OK and then things go badly amiss after it. This
> >would
> >be the case if you'd added the PKCS#7 structure along with some trailing
> >data,
> >for example if the length was wrong you passed to ASN1_STRING_set().
> >
> >Could you send or post the octet string version: it is much easier to
> >confirm
> >that's the case with that.
> >

> Thanks for your comments, here you're the octet string version.The
> content inside de octet string is the same the length of the file. This
> file is generated with the same code that use to the previous files the
> only difference is that for this version I'm using
> PKCS7_add_attribute(si, NID_pkcs7_signed, V_ASN1_OCTET_STRING,(void
> *)oct)  instead of using
> PKCS7_add_attribute(si, NID_pkcs7_signed, V_ASN1_SEQUENCE,(void *)oct).

The length should be the length of the relevant ASN1 structure not the length
of the file: unless you are sure the file only contains valid data.

Your test file confirms my earlier hypothesis: there is trailing data which is
not part of the PKCS#7 structure tagged on the end.

In that example the PKCS#7 length is 1194 bytes but the actual amount of data
is 1452 bytes. The non-ASN1 data on the end is what's choking the
V_ASN1_SEQUENCE version.

There are a couple of ways to workout the true length. One is to call
d2i_PKCS7() on it and see how far the pointer is advanced, this will also
syntax check the PKCS#7 structure too.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.