On 2005.05.24 at 11:14:08 +0100, Chris Covell wrote:

> But if I try and verify the signature using (as described in the
> OpenSSL command line manual):
>
> openssl smime -verify -inform PEM -in signature.pk7 -signer
> signer_pub.key -certfile certs.pem -content content
>
> I get the message:
>
> Verification failure
> 1319:error:21075075:PKCS7 routines:PKCS7_verify:certificate verify
> error:pk7_smime.c:222:Verify error:unable to get local issuer
> certificate
>
> I am sure I am nearly there, can anyone help me please ?

It asks for local (i.e. trusted) certificate of security authority,
who've issued (i.e. signed) signer's certificate.

Either provide path to the place where your trusted certificates are
stored using -CAfile or -CAdir argument, or specify -noverify to prevent
it from verifying certificate chain.

OpenSSL understands two forms of CA certificate storage

1. CAfile - file where PEM-formatted certificates are just concatenated
2. CAdir - directory where there are individual PEM certificate files
whose names are hashes obtained by openssl x509 -hash command.