With Windows certificate services, upon installation it will ask you to
select the type of CA the server is to become from 4 different options.
I've chosen an enterprise online CA, however its parent is offline, so
of course I cannot make an online certificate request.  I saved the
actual certificate request as a .der file (Windows defaults to .req I
believe) and copied to the OpenSSL parent box.

Perhaps my signing command was in error.  I used "ca -config
/pathtoconfigfile/openssl.cnf -out thecertificate.pem -in
windowsrequestfile.der".

When installing the subordinate's certificate, it does not like .pem
files...which doesn't really surprise me.  The available options are
.cer, .crt, .p12, .pfx and .p7b.  I was using pkcs12 as it indicated
there was an available export option for that command.  When I tried to
use the .pem file it would give me the error "The certificate is not a
CA certificate".

I also executed the command you suggested and tried installing the .der
file; it gives the same error.

Regards,
Aaron