> I setup my certificate for 10.x.x.x and when I try and access the site, i
> use https://10.x.x.x and I get the error about the certificate being setup
> for a different web site.  I've read up on this and the example
> they usually
> use is make sure you use www.foobar.com and not just foobar.com.  I am
> assuming if I setup my certificate for <address> then https://<address>
> should work.  Is this assumption correct?

Yes. What precisely do you mean by "setup my certificate for"? Are you talking
about the contents of the CommonName field or SubjectAltName or what?

> As far as the 3rd party goes, I'll have to do some research.  I
> am trying to
> use all open src tools and free stuff.  Are they any CA's that
> are free and
> trusted by most web browser?

I don't think it would be possible to be both free and obtain trust from
browsers like IE. I remember something called a "web of trust" that was pretty
close to free. Being trusted requires putting up cash (to compensate for people
who trust you and are harmed by your mistakes), and putting up cash usually
requires charging cash.

DS