> As far as the free 3rd party signing my certificate, I understand your
> point.  So, I'll have just have to have my users set up there web
> browser to
> trust the certificate I email to them.
>
> Thanks to all for your help.  Much appreciated.

Another possible solution is to put your certificate up for download on a
secure web server that has a certificate signed by a CA they already trust.
Email, unless signed or otherwise protected, is not a very secure way to
send someone a certificate you expect them to trust, especially if it's a CA
certificate.

Another possibility is to create a "certificate installer" application and
sign it with a code-signing key. That won't work for all platforms, but if
you're only targetting Windows, that might be a solution.

If it's not a CA certificate, you're putting your users through a lot of
trouble just to save $15. If it is, you need to go to more trouble not to
put your users at risk.

DS