> I made a program that connects to a stunnel server.
> I am able to connect to the server, read, write, with no problems.

Good.

> The problem is that if I close the stunnel, I can handle the error
> correctly if I make an SSL_read, but not if I make an SSL_write.
> The SSL_write returns a positive value even if the stunnel is closed,
> and on next SSL_write the application closes suddently.

The first part is typical. Depending on exactly how the tunnel was closed, a
write may not detect it immediately.

As for your application closing suddenly on the next SSL_write, this is
abnormal. Most likely, it's a bug in your program. It could be a bad OpenSSL
build or a bug in OpenSSL, but that's unlikely.

> So if I close the stunnel, and make two writes in a row in my
> application, my application dies.

Figure out why. Get a core dump or attach a debugger and see why and where
it's dying.

DS