Hi Joshi:

On September 18, 2008 11:01:28 am joshi chandra wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was trying to build shared library of fips and i am facing some problem
> with that .This is the step i have done
>
> 1. I have created the fips object module (used  openssl fips 1.1.2)
>
> 2. Used openssl 0.9.7m to create fips capable module and when i use shared
> option in ./configure ,all the fips related fucntion failed (like
> fips_test_suite failed) ,if i am not using shared option,that time it
> successed.
>
> This is the error which i am getting when using shared option in
> ./Configure in openssl 0.9.7m
> ./fips_test_suite
>         FIPS-mode test application
>
> 1. Non-Approved cryptographic operation test...
>         a. Included algorithm (D-H)...successful
> 1638508:error:2A07806E:lib(42):func(120):reason(110):fips.c:212:
> 2. Automatic power-up self test...FAILED!
>
> but it works fine when shared is not used
>
>     This means the shared library is not supported by this version.
>
> Can u please help what is wrong here

From my understanding, to get a FIPS validated module, you must follow the
OpenSSL FIPS Security Policy letter for letter. That means that if you change
a single option on the ./configure line, it is no longer the "FIPS validated"
version that you are building. Consequently, I suggest you read the security
policy, and see if what you are trying to do is a validated configuration.

Have fun.

--
Patrick Patterson
President and Chief PKI Architect,