There is no 'debug mode' of OpenSSL.  However, please note that
OpenSSL doesn't check its pointers to make sure that they're valid
before trying to use them.

So, how is it aborting?  Is it aborting due to invalid memory access?
Is it aborting due to a breakpoint?  Or is it just failing and your
code doesn't know how to handle it so it just abort()s?

Are you dealing with any kind of multiple threading?  (I know embedded
platforms generally don't have threads, but I have to ask.)

Usually, an error like this means that some data structure that the
library expects to be initialized is not, in fact, initialized
properly, and is pointing to uninitialized or unallocated memory.

However, you might have a different problem.  If you do not have an
actual stdio implementation (many embedded systems don't provide one),
you shouldn't be getting any calls to that function.

Do you have a backtrace of the function call stack?

-Kyle H