You would probably need a FIPS_mode_set(1) somewhere after the openssl
library initialization, and it would be a good thing to never keep any
keys in the clear.  As well, it would need to statically link to
openssl 0.9.7m built with the fipscanister module.  (If it uses
features specific to openssl 0.9.8, you cannot create a FIPS-validated
version at this time.)

This is not an openssh support list, and I have not looked at the
openssh sources to see what else would need to be changed.

You must ALWAYS follow the FIPS security policy when dealing with
anything FIPS.  If the security policy says that some constraint must
be met, that constraint must be met -- no matter how it impacts the
function or even possibility of doing what you want.

-Kyle H