Ok, I reran my tests again...This time I added the -named_curve
parameter...and do indeed get 50 byte key for the prime192v1 curve.

However, if I run the server with my certificate and key, the
client crashes processing the certificate.

One more question.  If the public key is in the certificate, why
does the server send a server key exchange?

Thank you everybody for your help.

-Mike