Hi,

What mail client are you using under Windows?
Each mail client has its own storage for private keys (Thunderbird uses local NSS key storage, Outlook uses CSP and IE certificate store). So, since you generated the key outside the scope of the mail client, you will certainly have to create a PKCS#12 file (called also PFX under Windows) containing your private key and its signed certificate and then import this file into your mail client's key storage (for Outlook, you'll have to install the PFX by double-clicking on it). So, everything depends on your mail client and how it will access your private key.

Cheers,
--
Mounir IDRASSI
IDRIX