Ok - several things:

1: Does the certificate contain both an email address, and EKU of
emailProtection?

2: Did you import the CA certificate chain before trying to import the
certificate?

3: I presume this certificate is so that you can perform S/MIME encryption -
do you have the correct values in Key Usage? ( keyEncipherment,
dataEncipherment)

What does your openssl.cnf section say for the type of certificate generated?

What does your CA Certificate look like?

If you want help setting up a CA that "just works" for most of these different
kinds of certificates, you can grab our OpenSSL CA Setup guide
(http://www.carillon.ca/library/openssl_testca_howto_1.2.pdf) - it's for the
more complex environment of CertiPath/US Federal Bridge interoperability, but
it gives you a good idea of what is required for the various profiles of
certificates to have them work in various use cases (one size most definitely
does NOT fit all, and the stock openssl.cnf isn't sufficient :)

Have fun!

Patrick.

Patrick Patterson
President and Chief PKI Architect,