On 07/15/2011 08:23 AM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

Excuse me, I got lost somewhere... Does this mean that it is not
possible to use EC crypto with OpenSSL because the algorithms are
patented? If so, why OpenSSL does provide support to EC crypto?

Sorry, I don't want to start a religion war, but as an EU citizen (and
as like as many other humans too, I guess), I find unbelievably absurd
the idea of patenting the mathematical description of an algorithm.

Let's put it in this way: in the unlikely and deplorable event of an
user willing to illegally use patented EC cryptography with OpenSSL for
personal use (hence assuming responsibility for any consequence), could
he/she use OpenSSL? Is OpenSSL able to handle this kind of crypto? I
guess yes, for (as in the first post of the thread) I managed to
apparently do a lot of things with the curve of my choice... My question
is, apart from legal considerations: did I do something wrong in the
certificate generation process?

Thanks for any help :)