On 07/15/2011 05:36 PM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> EC is considered to be a patent minefield. Some people (RSA Data
> Security) say that it's possible to implement EC cryptography using
> different types of algorithms which are not covered by the patents.
> Other people (Bruce Schneier, US NSA) say that the mechanism itself
> is patented, not simply specific algorithms for calculation.

I'll make just one comment here: U.S. patent law, at least as applied to
software, is a festering cesspool.

> The US NSA licensed from Certicom the right to sublicense the EC
> algorithms used in "Suite B". My understanding is that OpenSSL
> received a gift from Sun Microsystems of its EC sublicense from NSA.

OpenSSL (in the guise of its corporate manifestation, the OpenSSL
Software Foundation), is a direct NSA sublicensee
(http://opensslfoundation.com/testing/docs/NSA-PLA.pdf).  Note that
sublicense only covers some prime field ECC; for the rest of it "seek
competent legal advice".  Also note the license is nontransferrable.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.