On Friday 16 Dec 2011 18:31:01 you wrote:
> Le 16/12/2011 18:45, Mick a écrit :
> [...]

> > Since I cannot change the router firmware, what should I change the
> > 'string_mask =  ' on the PC to agree with the router?
>
> My understanding is that string_mask is used when producing an object
> (request or certificate), not when checking its content with the policy
> match directives.

That's fine as far as openssl usage is concerned, but when the standalone
router compares the client certificate submitted to it, it fails with a
malformed type error (16).  So, I'm led to believe that I should try creating
a CA that uses a default string_mask to align that with the way the router
parses the RDNs and sign both router and client certificates with it.

> You could either regenerate your CA with string_mask set to "default"
> (which means: first try "PrintableString", then "T61String", then
> "BMPString"). Your router uses PrintableString for pretty much anything
> except commonName, which is encoded in T61String. That could work.

Perhaps I am being dense ... but I can't find which section I should be
specifying this option under, in the openssl.cnf file.  I tried placing it
under [ req ] as well as other sections and the produced cacert Subject fields
always get encoded it in utf8 (except for Country which stays as
PrintableString)  :(

--
Regards,
Mick