Thanks,

Per the device specification they are saying that they are using Triple
DES-ECB, since the keys they are using are 16 bytes I'm assuming that it is
2-key Triple DES but they do not clearly state that in the specifications.
I have asked them to confirm that it is 2-key.

Here's the command line I was testing with:
openssl enc -des-ede -in test16.txt -out foo2a.enc -K
ABCB6BCE86FDF833A9B0DDF5A5113FC2 -iv 010203040506

I chose des-ede since the description in the docs says that it is Two key
triple DES EDE in ECB mode, but I don't know for sure if the target device
is using EDE since all they say is Triple DES-ECB and the key is 16 bytes.

test16.txt is a 16 byte file that would be the key that I am attempting to
encrypt.  foo2a.enc would of course be the cipher text from the encryption.
I have specified the 16 byte key as hex digits and I have specified a dummy
IV.  This encrypts with no errors but yields 24 bytes of cipher text instead
of the 16 bytes that I need.  If I add -nopad then I get the following
error:
bad decrypt
2618:error:0607F08A:digital envelope routines:EVP_EncryptFinal_ex:data not
multiple of block length:evp_enc.c:228:
But I do get a 16 byte cipher text output file.

So the new questions are:
Is des-ede the proper choice for "Triple DES-ECB" as the target device
specification requires?  If not then is there another viable option?

If des-ede is the proper choice what am I missing for the openssl command
line to generate the 16 bit cipher text from the encryption?

How do I solve the error condition when using -nopad?

Thanks again,
Burt