Hello,

Our organization just switched some of our environments to using openssl-1.0.1e, and since doing so connections from those machines to our Windows servers fail where they used to succeed. I've done some investigation into openssl and I have the problem narrowed to the list of cipher suites offered in the client hello when TLS 1.2 is switched on. Specifically, if I do 'openssl s_client -no_tls1_2 ...' on the latest openssl-1.0.1f it will succeed, and fail otherwise. From a debugger I can set client_version to 1.1 during the function ssl_cipher_list_to_bytes and reset to 1.2 upon exit of that function and connection will again succeed.

Our Windows servers only go up to TLSv1, and the key indication of a failed connection is that openssl s_client will claim that 'Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported'. However, if I use openssl-1.0.0k against the same server it will report that 'Secure Renegotiation IS supported'.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Can someone recommend some next steps I can try?

Thanks,

--
Jeff Franklin
Software Engineer, Identity and Access Management