On 10/01/2013 03:45 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just found out that there's already a source package called
> "trove" in Debian:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/trove
>
> Lucky, I don't think it will clash with OpenStack trove since it
> produces libtrove-java* .deb files, though that's quite annoying. The
> source package for OpenStack Trove will have to be called something like
> openstack-trove, which isn't nice.

Since our ecosystem was already madly in love with codenames when the
openSUSE people joined the fun, we went with the openstack-$BLA naming
scheme right from the beginning :-) A long history of pain (speak
clashes) made us do that for all kinds of things, thus we enforce
prefixes like ruby-, python(3)-, go- and java- for whenever it makes sense.

BTW. and while you're at it, the same holds true for daemon user names
in /etc/passd, we've also had bug reports due to clashes there :-)

> Also, in PyPi, there is:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/TroveClient
>
> which would clash with python-troveclient. This pypi module was uploaded
> more than a year ago. Since I have already uploaded python-troveclient
> (currently waiting in the FTP master's NEW queue), OpenStack troveclient
> will be in Sid, but if some day, someone wants to upload TroveClient
> from http://dev.yourtrove.com, then we have a problem.
>
> So, I am really questioning the choice of "Trove" as a name for the
> DBaaS in OpenStack. I think it is a pretty bad move. :(
>
> Is it too late to fix this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Sascha Peilicke
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany
GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)