From: Zhenguo Niu <niu.zgli...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:41 PM
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [OSC][ironic][mogan] Can we share the same keyword
'baremetal'?

<snip>

As I understand, baremetal instance in nova is a 'specical virtual machine'(raw
performance). Users claim the instance by specifying a flavor with 'vcpus',
'memory', "root_gb" instead of real hardware specs like (cpu model/cores, hard
drives type/amount, nics type/amount), then he get an instance with properties
like 'vm_state' and other 'virtual' stuff. As baremetal in nova use the same
model and same set of API that designed for vms, so even for end users, it's
not that easy to know which instance is a baremetal server, so maybe it's good
to call that baremetal server a special vm instance.

So, yes the end user actually know that there is a difference between getting a
bremetal instance via mogan or via nova :)