The cells v2 effort is going to be introducing a new database into Nova. This has been an opportunity to rethink and approach a few things differently, including how we should handle migrations. There have been discussions for a long time now about switching over to alembic for migrations so I want to ask, should we start using alembic from the start for this new database?

The question was first raised by Dan Smith on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/135424/

I do have some concern about having two databases managed in two different ways, but if the details are well hidden behind a nova-manage command I'm not sure it will actually matter in practice.