> On Dec 5, 2014, at 3:14 PM, Matt Riedemann <mrie...@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>

> On 12/5/2014 1:45 PM, Andrew Laski wrote:
>> The cells v2 effort is going to be introducing a new database into
>> Nova.  This has been an opportunity to rethink and approach a few things
>> differently, including how we should handle migrations. There have been
>> discussions for a long time now about switching over to alembic for
>> migrations so I want to ask, should we start using alembic from the
>> start for this new database?
>>
>> The question was first raised by Dan Smith on
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/135424/
>>
>> I do have some concern about having two databases managed in two
>> different ways, but if the details are well hidden behind a nova-manage
>> command I'm not sure it will actually matter in practice.

> I don't have experience with Alembic but I'd think we should use Alembic for
> the new database unless there is a compelling reason not to. Maybe we need
> Mike Bayer (or other oslo.db people) to give us an idea of what kinds of
> problems we might have with managing two databases with two different
> migration schemes.
>
> But the last part you said is key for me, if we can abstract it well then
> hopefully it's not very painful.

sqlalchemy-migrate doesn’t really have a dedicated maintainer anymore, AFAICT.
It’s pretty much on stackforge life support.   So while the issue of merging
together a project with migrate and alembic at the same time seems to be
something for which there are some complexity and some competing ideas (I have
one that’s pretty fancy, but I haven’t spec’ed or implemented it yet, so for
now there are “wrappers” that run both), it sort of has to happen regardless.