On 12/5/2014 1:45 PM, Andrew Laski wrote:
The cells v2 effort is going to be introducing a new database into
Nova.  This has been an opportunity to rethink and approach a few things
differently, including how we should handle migrations. There have been
discussions for a long time now about switching over to alembic for
migrations so I want to ask, should we start using alembic from the
start for this new database?

The question was first raised by Dan Smith on
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/135424/

I do have some concern about having two databases managed in two
different ways, but if the details are well hidden behind a nova-manage
command I'm not sure it will actually matter in practice.

I don't have experience with Alembic but I'd think we should use Alembic for the new database unless there is a compelling reason not to. Maybe we need Mike Bayer (or other oslo.db people) to give us an idea of what kinds of problems we might have with managing two databases with two different migration schemes.

But the last part you said is key for me, if we can abstract it well then hopefully it's not very painful.

Matt Riedemann