On 09/09/2016 02:10 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2016-09-09 13:03:42 -0400:
My vote is definitely for something #2-like, as I've said before and on
the review, I believe OpenStack should be a "cloud toolkit" composed of
well-scoped and limited services in the vein of the UNIX model of do one
thing and do it well. I believe that vendors and cloud providers should
be able to choose services and tools from this OpenStack cloud toolkit
to build clouds, cloud products, and products that utilize OpenStack
service APIs to please customers.

It makes sense for many of those cloud toolkit services and components
to integrate well with each other via public, stable interfaces and
there's nothing about OpenStack being a collection of cloud tools that
prevents or discourages that integration.

Best,
-jay

I don't see a conflict with saying that what we're producing is a
set of things that can be composed in different ways depending on
need, but that the way we produce them is through a unified community
with common practices, tools, and patterns.

Absolutely agree with you above. But note that you say "what we're producing is a set of things". You do not say "what we're producing is *one* thing", which is what "a single product composed of cooperating components" implies and which I don't think is realistic or correct.

> To me, this statement
about One OpenStack is about emphasizing those commonalities and
working together to increase them, with the combined goals of
improving the user and operator experience of using OpenStack and
improving our own experience of making it.

+1000 to the above, and I don't believe anything about my stance that OpenStack should be a cloud toolkit goes against that.

The wording/philosophy that I disagree with is the "one product" thing :)

Best,
-jay