On 08/27/2015 06:10 PM, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:17 AM, Andreas Jaeger <a...@suse.com> wrote:
Could we also revise languages and language codes?

I think we should prefer Country-independent languages over country ones.

So, we should prefer German ("de") over German in Germany ("de_DE") and
German in Austria ("de_AT").

In case where we have country specific ones - like pl_PL -, can we rename
them to country independent ones - like pl?

When asking for new languages, we should then get the independent one in
first and only after consolidation with the existing team create a specific
one.

What do you think?

I can't directly speak to the conversation that led to this list, but
StevenK and Daisy came up with the following list, which seems to go
by what you suggest:

ar
as
bg-BG

Rename to bg?

bn-IN

Rename to bn?

brx
ca
cs
de
el
en-AU
en-GB
es
es-MX
fi-FI

Rename to fi?

fil
fr
gu
he
hi
hu
id
it
ja
ka-GE

Rename to ka?

kn
ko-KR

Can we rename to ko, please?

kok
ks
mai
mni
mr
ne
nl-NL

Rename to nl?

pa-IN

Rename to pa?

pl-PL

Can we rename the above to pl, please?

pt
pt-BR
ru
sl-SI

Rename to sl?

sr
ta
te-IN

Rename to te?

tr-TR

Rename to tr?

ur
vi-VN

Rename to vi?

zh-CN
zh-TW

Copied from this pastebin that StevenK shared last night, in case it
expires: http://paste.openstack.org/show/429137/

Background: We get *lots* of request on transifex for new languages, for example today for pl. There's right now no reason to have both pl and pl-PL. I'd like us to standardize here...

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)