On 07/06/16 00:51, James E. Blair wrote:
With DIB caching, it is generally fairly fast to rebuild a similar image
with 'refreshed' data -- we rely on that for having images with
up-to-date caches of data to keep our runtime short as well.

However, if there truly are images that are not possible to build in
DIB, that is unfortunate.  It looks like in this case, the issue is that
DIB is running puppet which is configured to cause services to start.  I
am not certain that puppet is the best choice for this -- in fact, we
are working to remove puppet from our DIB builds.  But if using puppet
nevertheless, I do think it's a different thing to use puppet to build
an image versus maintaining a server.

A recent spec[1] to separate out image build workers from the main
process described how it should be abstracted so that multiple image
building implementations can co-exist (but in separate processes to keep
things simpler).  There was an optional section about creating a
snapshot build worker, but it has not been implemented.

If folks are interested in continuing support for snapshot images, I
think they could do so using that framework, but so far there has not
been much interest.  We have based quite a bit of development work on
the premise that using DIB is the best way to create images for
nodepool.  I would greatly prefer to reduce the enormous amount of
complexity in nodepool that currently comes from these two methods
cohabiting.

[1]http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/nodepool-workers.html

-Jim

Thank you Jim for the full context. I definitely agree the images vs snapshot confused me at first and it indeeds sounds easier to just build a reference image for the provider.

I am using puppet since that is what we use everywhere else and it I wasn't willing to port -and keep in sync- the puppet recipes as dib elements.

On 07/06/16 17:53, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Worth checking with the DIB maintainers, but I've heard of work on
> alternate non-chroot backends for it which would in theory alleviate
> these concerns.

A non-chroot would solve my specific corner case issue for sure :) Will get in touch with them.

Thank you both!

--
Antoine Musso