On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Ewan Mellor <ewan.mel...@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> We've got some complications though:
> http://swift.openstack.org/howto_installmultinode.html says "Auth node: ...
> This can be on the same node as a Proxy node" and "Storage nodes: Runs the
> swift-account-server, swift-container-server, and swift-object-server." This
> implies that we need at least two ports for a storage proxy, and three ports
> for a storage node.  I think that some people plan to run the Glance API and
> registry on the same machine too.  We could run these things on 80, 81, and
> 82 in the case of a storage node, but I don't see that that's any better than
> using arbitrary ports as we are at the moment.  8080 is a possibility too of
> course, but some people may want to run web UIs on these nodes too, in which
> case it would be nice to keep 8080 available.
> All said, I think if people are serious about running storage nodes with
> account, container, and object servers together, then it's reasonable for us
> to ask for new ports to be assigned.  The argument is weaker (but still
> reasonable I think) for storage API nodes with auth and proxy together (proxy
> will use port 80, but we still need one for auth).

I don't see a lot of utility in trying to get IANA assigned ports for
services that are completely internal to swift.  They could change in
the future, and vary greatly between different
configurations/deployments anyway.

I do recommend that in a production environment, public HTTP-based
services live on port 80/443.  I also recommend that the swift auth
server is for entertainment purposes only.

-- Mike