On 07.11.2013, at 14:37, Guillaume Gardet <guillaume.gar...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 07/11/2013 14:19, Alexander Graf a écrit :

>>> Could you do it, please? I will not have time for that ATM. :(
>> I can try, but if I don't get around until Saturday it won't happen for at
>> least another week.
>
> Ok. Thanks.

>>> bootpart is the right name I think, we just need to update it after loading
>>> our script.
>> IIRC I set everything up in a way that you can always override any variable
>> from nvram, if you have persistent nvram.
>
> At u-boot load, u-boot try to get a working environment from flash, if it
> fails it redefines all vars. Moreover, in our script, we do not call saveenv
> to save datas. So, it should be fine to reset bootpart before updating it.
> No? Maybe I miss something, since I am not familiar with nvram.

Ok, forget what I said.

So you're saying that the for loop does not update $bootpart when it already
contains a value? That sounds pretty broken. Yes, just reset it before the for
loop then.

>>> I found the problem. U-boot already defines loadfdt:
>>> echo $loadfdt
>>> load mmc ${bootpart} ${fdtaddr} ${bootdir}/${fdtfile}
>>>
>>> Do we want to change our var name our do we overwrite loadfdt?
>> We want to change the var name.
>
> Ok. load_fdt or something else?

Let's make it obvious:

  should_load_fdt
  should_use_fdt

>>> I think overwriting a u-boot var is not a good idea. Moreover, why do we
>>> have 2 vars: usefdt and loadfdt? if we want to use DT, we must load it. And
>>> we do not need to load it if we do not use it. Isn't it?
>>> I would like to remove loadfdt and only use usefdt. Are you ok?
>> Not at all.
>>
>> On highbank and midway we already get a working device tree preloaded by
>> firmware. There we do not have to load an fdt, but only use it.
>
> Good to know. Thanks for info.
> In melea1000/cubieboard, we load DT but we do not use it (in bootz cmdline).
> Does the kernel read a specific addr for DT or is it a bug?

I'd say it's a bug. But I know very little about the way Allwinner SoCs work.

>>> I have:
>>> c000812c <__turn_mmu_on_loc>:
>>> c000812c:    c000812c     .word    0xc000812c
>>> c0008130:    c05558f8     .word    0xc05558f8
>>> c0008134:    c0555918     .word    0xc0555918
>> Hrm. That is 0x812c. There is nothing earlier? In fact, looking at the lr
>> address, we might be in self-extract code here...
>
> I uploaded my objdump here:
> http://guillaume.gardet.free.fr/openSUSE/objdump.txt
>
> Please download it, so that you can have a look at it.

Hrm. Maybe the kernel gets relocated down? I have no idea.

Either way, __turn_mmu_on_loc only contains addresses to functions it wants to
call. We should never reach that as instructions that get executed.

I'm also slightly confused why this happens. This is the same kernel as the
beagle one, right? So there really should be no major difference between the
two kernel execution paths.

Alex