On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 3:17:35 AM CDT Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Jun 06 2018, Matthias Brugger <mbrug...@suse.com> wrote:
> >> I'm not very good at compiling. - Building u-boot is probably beyond my
> >> abilities.  - I tried briefly, but things like this bog me down & I lose
> >> interest.
> >> update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/aarch64-suse-linux-gcc-7 to provide
> >> /usr/ bin/aarch64-suse-linux-gcc (aarch64-suse-linux-gcc) in auto mode
> >>
> >> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-
> >> make: aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: Command not found
> >>
> >>   - Do I make a symlink? or edit a file? Oh well.
> >
> > You need to have your cross compiler toolchain in your $PATH.
>
> That won't help if you use the wrong name.
>
> Andreas.

Andreas,

Thanks for the hint. I was following the generic build instruction from rock-
chip here: http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wiki_U-Boot . openSUSE calls the
cross-compiler by it's own name.

That got my a little farther. Now I have this error:
  aarch64-suse-linux-ld.bfd: cannot find -lgcc

Bill Merriam replied off-list suggesting using github.com/ayufan-rock64 u-
boot.

I've been using his Ubuntu Xenial & Bionic images. - They have been very
stable.

I used ayufan's sd card image to flash u-boot to SPI, but I only got a few
lines of gibberish on the serial console when trying to boot the openSUSE Jeos
image. - I don't know what parts of the bootloader ayufan installs, nor do I
know what the openSUSE Jeos image needs to boot.

Mark