> Am Freitag, 14. Juli 2006 17:02 schrieb jdd:
> > right now [...] I can't save the selection with 10.1
>
> I posted a possible workaround to the suse-linux mailinglist some time
> ago, maybe it helps ;-)
>
> You can save the package list with
>     rpm -qa --queryformat "%{name}\n" > paketliste
>
> Copy the file "paketliste" to the target machine and install all listed
> packages with
>     xargs yast2 -i < paketliste
> (Of course, you have to setup the installation sources in YaST before.)
>
> To optimize the operation, remove the already installed packages from
> the list:
>     rpm -qa --queryformat '%{name}\n' | grep -Fvxf - paketliste \
>     | xargs yast2 -i

That does give me a list.  The way I use it is to get a system ready for
new HW.

dump to user.sel the current package selection based on the profiles.

For example I have
devuser.sel             Development System
servuser.sel            Server System
deskuser.sel            Dexktop System
miniuser.sel            Mini Install System
alluser.sel             All Options System

So this new idea of package groupings really matches the way I used the
dump feature and install of the OS.  I am looking into autoyast but I must
admit I really liked the way it was in 10.0

So on new HW I would do a install and do a diff for the differences needed
for hardware and the type of profile I wanted.

diff -c user.sel devuser.sel > patch.sel

I then edit patch.sel to remove duplicates.

Then

patch < patch.sel

Then I would bring this list into yast package selections and go through
and add any new items from the new SUSE Linux version.  Then dump this
file to a new profile.sel where profile is the type of user I want to
create.  This made it really easy to roll out a New Installation of SUSE
Linux for the customer.  I would then have an invoice like below after
receiving a retail box.

1.  New Hardware
2.  One box SUSE Linux X
3.  Installation and custom setup charge.

Then I would later tell them(after using SUSE Linux and falling in love
with it) that if they want a good support and a 5 year window on the OS
they may/should purchase a SLES X.  I would make sure they understand that
the 5 year window is from the first release of the product.  For example
SLES 10 would be aprox Jul 06.  This really worked.  I am able to get them
used to SUSE Linux and see how it benefits them.  Then move them to a
purchased support contract with Novell should any thing happen to me.

So I see this new package grouping as very positive.  My only concern is
to avoid a problem like what happened with the package manager in 10.1.
Does it look like there is sufficent time to get a great product for 10.2?

Thanks,

- --
Boyd Gerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047