> > What I would really like is some quick and easy way to create multiple
> > "document roots" with vsftpd, even if it means cranking up multiple
> > instances of it.

This is a missing functionality in vsftpd in the first place, of course,
but setting up vsftpd is still a *lot* easier + faster than doing the
same with apache.

> You can't.
> And you can't do name-based virtual hosting with FTP, only IP based
> virtual hosting.

Yes I can do. Open your mind ;)

It is easy to run one vfstpd per port, on the same IP address. Which is
about the same as running one per IP address on the same port as far as
"virtual hosting" (haha) is concerned. My interest isn't in virtual
hosts anyway, but in directory mapping:

  /usr/dir1/    -> ftp://../dir1/
  /data/suse/   -> ftp://../suse/
  /disk/big/    -> ftp://../big/

It's not so difficult to support this via init.d runlevel script, and
I'm thinking of implementing it.

Alternatively I can arrange my disks to suit vsftpd, which I'm not going
to do, or use mount --bind.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.