I have 4 openSUSE 10.2 installations so far, installed WITHOUT
"Enterprise Software manager tools" (or somthing like it, i do not
remember precisely, the ZMD et al). I turned off them during install,
at pattern selection. My workstations are using pure YAST.

There were no problems at all about updates. Yes, update procedure is
a little bit slower than on older releaes (i was on all from 10.1 to
8.0 inclusive) but it works flawlessly.

Indeed, I've already seen problems with zen-updater and zmd reported
by almost all I've recommended 10.2 to, and none after removing zmd.
I'm so glad it was left in by default due to being "better tested".

_
Benjamin Weber