On Saturday 20 January 2007 12:51, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> I am happy with the base system we have now (10.2), and do *not* want
> any major changes.

The present status is that we need small base that can be expanded.
How to achieve this is a topic of this thread, but obviously no one wants
major changes. Although I'm not familiar with distribution creation, it is
obvious that just dropping some packages will bring improvement, but still it
will be far from usable desktop on single CD.

More radical approach as discussed above may bring new way of thinking about
distribution creation and upgrades. It will make possible to install openSUSE
almost everywhere and upgrade to the level that user finds acceptable. This
will eliminate need to guess what user might want, and automatically reduce
size of initial system.

I know that dependencies that package can't run without, will bloat upgraded
system anyway, but that can be addressed later when enough users feedback is
collected.

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal