M9. wrote:

> Used it fist time last week on a 32bits machine, not much experience
> with it, but some people advise me to use it, just like now.
>>> with lvm+reiser you can enlarge them on-the-fly, but have to unmount
>>> them for shrinking
>
> How do you move a partition that is large enough?
> You shrink the one that is behind it, and then?
> Can you perform these tasks while the data is on it?

man lvm

I *strongly* advise booting to 'rescue' mode (i.e. running from RAM,
without *any* disc partitions mounted) before making any changes.

I'd also suggest that doing it without backing up important data first
is really not a very sensible practice, but you will probably get away
with it.

>> Seconded, though my preference is for ext3 - downside is the annoying
>> tendency to do a full check just when you least want it, but on the plus
>> side it seems more tolerant of dirty umounts
>
> ext checks every 2 month's...reiser checks everything very thouroughly
> after hang or crash..

Indeed so, but in my experience reiserfs is less capable of dealing with
problems (e.g. caused by dirty umounts) when they do occur. This seems
particularly pertinent to USB storage in my experience.

I'd quite agree that the regular checking is a pain, more so because of
teh tendency to do it without warning or a chance to postpone it.

>>> And for those that never change (usr, opt) journaling is not needed.
>
> maybe they did not change in the past, but since 10.2, /usr is
> growing...(where does it stop? How big should it be made to have room
> enough, and not to much.., same for /var, changed the size since 10.0 3
> times: too big, made smaller, now in 10.2 it is allready too small,
> To make seperate /var/log is a very good idea ;-)

I think the previous poster meant that they don't get written to much
once installation is complete (only when installing / upgrading). I'd
agree that they change significantly between OSL versions.

> Since reiser is accused of murdering his wife, nobody maintains the fs.. :-(

:-(

>> Final comment - if changes are made to the YaST partitioner, could I
>> propose a 'newbie' (simple) mode button:
>
>> defaults when set: swap plus single / ext3 partition;
>> defaults when unset: LVM, separate /boot (ext2), /home (ext3), swap, ...
>
> It could as well suggest all needed partitions, in the proper size :-)

A good suggestion, I hope it is seen by the YaST programmers...?

PS - No need to cc me, I'm on the list.

--
Cheers
Richard (MQ)