>> So what? That doesn't tell anything about whether it makes sense to have
> sbin
>> in $PATH. I'd vote for appending sbin to regular users' $PATH by default.
> There
>> are many tools in sbin that can be called as user to display at least some
>> status information (or even just the help text). The clueless don't use the
>> shell anyways and therefore don't care.
>>

> So... You subscribe to the MS theory of "security through obscurity"
> then? And remember the "clueless" as you call them don't always remain
> "clueless".

If it's so much an issue for your system, why not add it on them? I basically
don't see any reason to have $PATH pointing to /sbin.
Not so many tools in there are usable as non-root (some give some information),
but if you know you need them once in a while, prefix the command with a path
(hey cool, that still works) or if you use them on a such regular basis, extend
your $PATH statement on your machine.

After all, you have the power over your machine; why should all settings some
people would like as a default setting? That's absurd.
I for myself always configure a second panel in gnome, why is it not standard?
It improves my efficiency a lot, having the panels arranged in a way I need.

So long,

Dominique

--

TMF is a global management and accounting outsourcing firm with 72 offices in
56 countries and over 2,000 professionals (February 2007). TMF is expanding
rapidly throughout the world. Learn more about our unique network and our
services and visit our website at www.tmf-group.com.

The information contained in this e-mail communication is confidential and
solely intended for the person to whom it is addressed. If someone other than
the intended recipient should receive or come into possession of this e-mail
communication, he/she will not be entitled to read, disseminate, disclose or
duplicate it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are requested to
notify the sender and to destroy the original e-mail communication.
TMF is neither liable for the correct and complete transmission of the
information contained in this e-mail communication nor for any delay in its
receipt.  This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.