Jonathan Arsenault wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-05-26 at 02:35 +0300, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> > Anyways, I'm not satisfied. I want to have access to my ifconfig from
> > normal user.
>
> Yes, lets change the UNIX way for the unsatisfied kid ...
>
> Snip from the FHS.
>
> /sbin : System binaries
> Purpose
> Utilities used for system administration (and other root-only commands)
> are stored in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin.
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SBINSYSTEMBINARIES

So what? That doesn't tell anything about whether it makes sense to have sbin
in $PATH. I'd vote for appending sbin to regular users' $PATH by default. There
are many tools in sbin that can be called as user to display at least some
status information (or even just the help text). The clueless don't use the
shell anyways and therefore don't care.

cu
Ludwig

--