Henne Vogelsang wrote:
On Monday, September 03, 2007 at 06:58:14, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

From what I see in bugzilla there are too many bugs to really release
on schedule. I think the release needs to be postponded.

If we would always draw in our horns because of this we would still be
in the process of releasing 4.2.

Guys we still have 17 days until RC1. Relax...

Right. And after all, this is only GNOME and everybody reasonable uses KDE anyways (because it has much less bugs, for example) :P

To be serious, I'm working myself in project management of a software project (which is even shipped with openSUSE), and there will probably always be an impressive list of bugs left in any release. As long as those are things one can live with, it's probably even OK.

From what I read here, the reporting of bugs to the upstream GNOME bug database does not work as well as it could, so the first step for anyone who complains here should be to verify all problems he sees _are_ reported upstream. That is usually the first step for getting them fixed also in the final release (or a bugfix release afterwards) and therefore also in the version shipped in the distro.

Reporting bugs back to the upstream project is a vital step, and we in the projects making the software itself sometimes get bitten by that not being done - so please everyone who actually sees such problems, go out and try forwarding the bugs upstream and comment the upstream bug ID in the openSUSE bug, that helps more than complaining here.

Robert Kaiser
SeaMonkey developer