On Thursday 27 December 2007 07:22:13 pm Joerg Mayer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 06:29:36PM -0600, Rajko M. wrote:
> > > While it may in may cases be OK to not include additional documentation
> > > in the base package, the manpages need to stay there - no matter what
> > > that means for the build process.
> >
> > So far I recall there was idea to remove documents from main package, to
> > make base package and whole base distro slimmer, easier to put on CD,
> > Live CD etc. The above excerpt is something new to me.
>
> Removing manpages is a broken concept: They are needed to actually use
> the programs. Additional documentation may well be moved into another
> package, but not manpages. That's similar to removing the --help part
> from the binaries to make them smaller.

I can understand that, as I am heavy user of man pages, but there was a
pressure to make distro smaller. What was behind wasn't explained, but the
goal was set to 128 MB for the very base system and AJ email appeared to be
very serious.

BTW, for guys that know how to use man pages installation of extra package is
a bit more work, but far from a problem ;-)

--
Regards,
Rajko