On 2011-02-16 10:29:42 (+0100), Bruno Friedmann <br...@ioda-net.ch> wrote:
> On 02/16/2011 10:04 AM, jdd wrote:
[...]
>> That's why I beg we should (on the marketting team, at least), have
>> some sort of "attribution to the marketting team", that mean each
>> author accepts that on collective works the attribution is made only
>> to the marketting team.
>
> That's sound like what Sun and others have ask to
> contributors, and failed.

Maybe, yeah, it's a bit similar.
But it is a worthwile question.

Bruno is referring to "copyright assignment", which is actually
much more of an "ownership transfer", which means that
everything you commit to the repository would be owned by the
openSUSE project, and not by you. You hence transfer the
ownership to the project.

There is only one use case where that is useful, and that is if
you want to change the license of the content.
If you don't do copyright assignment, then we need to ask every
single contributor of our repository whether she is fine with
changing the license.

We don't need transfer of ownership apart from that, as
everything anyone commits to the repository is under CC-BY-SA
(or GFDL or ..., see the other mail on that thread), which
permits reuse and modification, as long as it is under a
compatible license.

As long as we define the appropriate licenses upfront, that
won't be much of an issue. And as we have a real repository, we
can also track who did what and when.

The thing is that until now we totally didn't care about the
licenses of the artwork and marketing material we were making,
and we *must* do that.

The remaining question about attribution is whether the
attribution (as of CC-BY-SA, or GFDL, or ...) should be
mentioned as the individual person who made the work, or to the
openSUSE project, or to the openSUSE marketing team (or the
artwork team), etc...

The most pragmatic solution, and the fairest, IMHO, is that the
attribution should go to "the openSUSE project".
We probably should mention that explicitly somewhere, and also
that by committing content to the repository, you accept that:
* the work is still owned by you, and by whomever makes
  modifications to it
* that it is licensed under one of the licenses we define and
  accept use of (CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-NC-SA, GFDL, ...)
* that attributions are "to the openSUSE project", and not to
  you individually

Individual attributions would really be a nightmare to work with
in practice...

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.ble...@opensuse.org>