Hi,

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 04:08:49PM -0800, Michael Miller wrote:
> I've been considering ways to contribute to the openSUSE project now that
> I've been using it as an OS for several months. I have a background as an
> engineer, but I could probably contribute more effectively on the marketing
> side these days. So, I'm reaching out to this team for ideas.
>
> I may have met some of you already via email since I started promoting
> openSUSE inside of Attachmate recently but now I'd like to get more directly
> and personally involved as a contributor to the openSUSE project. It's a
> great distribution and a great project.
>
> Let me know what I can do to jump in and help!

Welcome! I am actually thinking about an openSUSE "city" guide since quite a
while. Because many people come here and don't know where to look and like you
there are already several people that actually want to help, but don't know
how.

>From my experience using the latest distribution is a great learning
experience and you will also find some areas where work needs to be done.

Then follow the news:

http://news.opensuse.org/
http://planetsuse.org/global/

and try new things out. Testing new stuff is a big help already! Tweeting and
blogging about it and writing howtos is even better. New projects often come
without proper documentation.

The mailing lists are a good starting point since the major part of the
discussion takes place there.

http://lists.opensuse.org/

You might be stunned because of the number of mailing lists. That is normal ;)
Subscribe to a few and you will get an idea what they really are about. If
there is too much traffic or the discussions are about something not so
interesting, you can easily unsubscribe.

I think every openSUSE user should be subscribed to

- opensuse-announce - The name says it ;)
- opensuse-project - for learning about new projects, current efforts etc.
- opensuse - for seeing how people use it and where they have issues

IRC is a good place to discuss ideas and find areas which need support and
help. The best channels were already mentioned before.

If you think you found something where you might help make a proposal on how
to do that and post it to the right mailing list.

I would like to put all of this and even more into a wiki page.

I think we also should have a list of interesting Twitter and identi.ca
accounts. If someone already has a list, speak up :)

--
Bye,

          Stephan  Barth

Novell Technical Services, Worldwide Support Services Linux
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuremberg