On 2011-11-09 10:24:12 (-0800), Roger Luedecke <roger.luede...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 01:59:54 AM Pascal Bleser wrote:
[...]
> > Sure, why not, but keep in mind that it will make even more
> > communication channels -- I believe we already have way too
> > many, as we're having a really hard time getting information
> > across users and contributors:
> > - around 60 different mailing-lists
> > - around 60 different IRC channels
> > - opensuse.org forums
> > - several "unofficial" forums in various languages (often even
> >   duplicates of the "official" ones)
> > - g+, facebook, ...
> >
> > Is there really much use of adding yet another one ?
> > (might be, just ask yourself whether that's really the case :))
> >
> > I mean, sure, why not, but we only have so many contributors and
> > experienced users who would have time to help out...
> >
> Agreed. I personally would like to see a much more integrated approach.
> Frankly, I think we should swith to Kablink which would allow us to more
> effecctively cross-communicate.

Well one thing for sure (or several):
* we will not remove the IRC channels
* we will not remove the mailing-lists
* we will not remove the forums
* we will not remove the wiki

So the question we should ask ourselves: do we want *more*
communication infrastructure ?

If using Kablink means removing a single one of the above,
then forget it, really. There is no single more effective way to
piss off half of the contributors (at least) than by removing
one of the above.

We certainly need a better infrastructure, as our communication
is rather non-functional in many ways, but adding even more
tools into the mix is something we really have to think about
twice.

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser