On Sep 1 2007 16:22, Paul Elliott wrote:

>Name:          peless
>Version:       1.156
>Release:       19%{?dist}
>License:       GPL
>Group:         Productivity/Text/Utilities
>Source0:       http://download.berlios.de/peless/%{name}-%{version}.tar.bz2
>BuildRoot:      %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-build
>Packager:      https://developer.berlios.de/projects/peless/

Get rid of "Packager", "Vendor" and "Distribution"; they are
provided by the build system (depends on the build system).
Especially since you are the packager of the rpm, and not peless.

>Autoreqprov:    on

Autoreqprov is the default already, so this line is redundant.

>%{?suse_update_config:BuildRequires:autoconf automake libtool}
>BuildRequires: gtkmm24-devel, gconfmm-devel,  boost-devel = 1.33.1,
>libsigc++2-devel, gettext, intltool, gcc-c++
>
>%description
>Peless is a simple text file lister. It only displays files and
>never modifies them. It can display multiple files using a tabbed notebook,
>display international characters, and search the files for regular expressions
>or literal expressions. Users can choose the fonts used to display files.

%debug_package is missing. Well, people normally do not need it, but editing
the specfile is something I would like to avoid, in case it seems necessary.

>%prep
>%setup -q
>%{?suse_update_libdir:%{suse_update_libdir}}
>%{?suse_update_config:%{suse_update_config -f}}
>
>%build
>CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" CXXFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" \
>PKG_CONFIG_PATH=%{_prefix}/%{_lib}/pkgconfig:%{_prefix}/share/pkgconfig \
>       %configure  --prefix=%{_prefix} --with-boost=/usr \
>       --with-dtcat=%{?DTCAT:%{DTCAT}}%{!?DTCAT:'Application;Utility;'}
>CCFLAGS=$RPM_OPT_FLAGS \
>PKG_CONFIG_PATH=%{_prefix}/%{_lib}/pkgconfig:%{_prefix}/share/pkgconfig \
>        make %{?_smp_mflags}

Why is it necessary to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH again? pkgconfig is usually
configured so that all the usual paths are scanned.

CCFLAGS? That should probably be CXXFLAGS.

>%install
>rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

mkdir "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" here

>make DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT install-strip

Do not strip, this makes it impossible to build a debug package.
Also, the build system will strip.

>%clean
>rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
>
>%files
>%defattr(-, root, root)
>%doc AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog NEWS README INTERNATIONALIZATION
>%{_bindir}/peless
>%{_datadir}/applications/%{name}.desktop
>%{_datadir}/pixmaps/%{name}.png
>%{_datadir}/pixmaps/%{name}.xpm
>%_mandir/man1/peless.1.*

A lot of { } are superfluous. For example,

%_datadir/pixmaps/%name.xpm

would suffice.