On Donnerstag, 6. Dezember 2007 03:48:17 Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
> Christian Boltz escribió:
> > - php-mysql and/or php-pgsql? One of them is always unused, but you
> >   never know which one in advance (from RPM's POV)
>
> Both now provides php_any_db virtual package.

This is one step - but what about the databases themselves?
Currently MySQL provides mysql, PostGreSQL provides postgresql - what
should a package recommend, which runs with both databases?

As  these two are the most supported databases in the open source world,
we should perhaps also think about a virtual provides for this two at
least.

Whats the minimal SQL standard both support?
Perhaps we can add a virtual provides like "Provides: SQL2"
or "Provides: SQL-92" - so an application with a generic SQL interface
just have to require a SQL-92 compatible database...

Regards,
Lars