Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:07:45AM -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote
Whether there's undefined behavior or not, needing to specify --replacefiles was not ideal.

Yeah, that's true. Hmm, maybe you can %ghost the file so
that rpm knows it is shared and change it in the %post section.
This is the first I'd heard of the %ghost directive. It's interesting, but I'm not sure it's what we are looking for in this case. It's sounds good for files that need to be cleaned up but don't have any particular initial value (like log files), but we have something that's kind of the reverse: We have files with particular initial values that we want to be careful Not to clean up, at least not unless the relevant OS rpm is removed.

It seems like what we want is a %post that just copies the files from one place to another.

Hmmmm... Now what'd be cool... We have a workaround for adding back files that are cleaned up that shouldn't have been (by extracting the %post and piping it into sh), but that workaround requires people to know they're going from an old style rpm (with the double ownerships) to a new style rpm (with a copy from %post) - what might be nicer is if there's a way of "adjusting" the rpm database to think that an rpm no longer owns a file? That might help us get through this transition a little more proactively, since we have access to all the machines the old rpm's are installed on.

Does anyone know a way of taking an rpm database that has n files that are owned by 2n rpms, and changing the rpm database so that the n files are owned by just n rpms? (assuming you know which rpms should keep the files, and which rpms should give them up?)