houghi wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 03:55:52PM -0500, Rajko M wrote:
>> It is not long time ago that I learned why they like html format, and
>> how they get confirmation that your email address is active if you just
>> open the mail. No need to click any link, it is not a virus, and you get
>> spammed.
>
> Old news. :-) I have never used an HTML enabled emailclient. That however
> is still things you get over SMTP, not via browsing with your browser.
> The only thing that could happen is if you tell your browser to send your
> own emailadress when connecting to an anonymous FTP site.

Old news for you, but I was amazed how far they analyzed protocol, and
used it to validate email address.

>> The IP address and email.
>> Well the idea came from emails without any reference to mail address in
>> the header that I received. How come? Mail server misconfiguration, bug
>> or something else, sorry I'm not in the trade so I can't answer, but I
>> was looking in a (raw) header and I believe that it is possible.
>
> I don't. I have seen header spoofing, but I have always seen where a mail
> orignated. I realy would be interested in seeing such a header.

Chance to find one of those mails is not big. It was few years ago and
that hard disk is used for new installations few times since. Maybe when
I'll sort archives it will pop up somewhere. I complained to provider
and it stopped.

>> Now, if I suspect that I have data miners on the other side, I simply go
>> around as much as I can.
>
> Datamining is not something that spammers are realy interested in anymore.
> They just send it to any account they think might be valid. And for the
> few times I need to use a temporary account, I use [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> :-)

Data miners. Maybe to strong expression, for spammers using
sophisticated tools to achieve their goals. You never know what is the
newest advance in email harvesting :-(
Well, at least, I don't know, as I don't want to invest time to keep
with news in that trade.

I overdue often enough, anyway, in order to save my mail box from spam.

--
Regards,
Rajko.