On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Aschwin Marsman wrote:

> > Please, don't try to act naive! YaST isn't bound to KDE or GNOME - why
> > should we reinvent the wheel?
>
> Because YaST is currently based on Qt, it wouldn't feel native in GNOME.

YaST has a QT and an Ncurses frontend. It's just a matter of writing a GTK
frontend - but apparent nobody has done this so far. There are other fish
to fry...

> > > As a usability example: I would like to have the ability to make
> > > some improvements (in my opinion) to e.g. you: When downloading the
> > > patches and everything went will I don't want to press the Finish
> > > button myself, I would like a checkbox that gives me the option to
> > > specify the behaviour I described above. When will development be
> > > open for these kind of issues, and who will decide if a proposed
> > > patch will be included or not?
> >
> > The development is already open - just use Bugzilla to interact with
> > the YaST developers on this. But please note, that there will be quite
> > some redevelopment on the YaST2 Packagemanager + YOU for 10.1...
>
> That depends on your definition of open: using Bugzilla to report a bug
> or issue a feature request is usefull, but open development to me would
> be that I can take the source, make a patch which does what I would like
> and sent that to a mailing list for discussion/review. Do we have that
> kind of openess already? Is it supposed to be like that in the (near)
> future?

We had that kind of openness from day 0 - just go ahead, file a bugreport,
attach a patch and discuss it with the developers. But be aware of the
fact that we might not accept your patch - which has nothing todo with
openness, but with the fact that the responsible developer / project
manager will have the final say.

Regards
        Christoph