On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 14:21 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:

> Ken Schneider wrote:
<snip>

> > Precisely why it is the packagers responsibility to provide all of the
> > required packages. If it cannot be done legally then the package should
> > not be provided at all. CYA
>
> That's mostly correct. Tell that to the many users who whine about DeCSS,
> proprietary codec and MP3
> support ;)
>
> But on the other hand, we packagers definately want to get together and avoid
> having to package
> something a dozen times, because
> a) it's redundant work, and it's our unpaid spare time
> b) it's only causing issues for the end-users, package conflicts, etc..
>
> That's why a single repository is not necessarely consistent when used alone,
> without some other
> repositories. At Packman we do have that rule: don't have dependencies
> towards packagers that are
> not provided in Packman or in the base SUSE distribution.
> But Packman is by far the largest community package repository for SUSE Linux
> and it's feasible
> there. It is not necessarely doable for other, smaller repositories.

I always include Packman as a YaST repository because it seems to always
be complete and not make me chase all over the net looking for a
required third party package.
Keep up the GOOD work, it is -appreciated- more than you think.

--
Ken Schneider
UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998