Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 25. Januar 2006 23:25 schrieb Jan Karjalainen:
> I think there is a need for a forum, for a couple of reasons:
>
> - The ability to easily search for answers. When you get a reply
> stating "this was discussed in December, search the list", a newbie
> really doesn´t have a clue how or where to search.

This means the mailing list archives should have a search feature
included (which is already discussed AFAIK).

> Compare this to the search funtionality of a forum.

OK, good point.
But google-searching the list archives isn't that bad, too ;-)

> - Dial-up connections aren´t fast enough for downloading a couple of
> hundred mails each day, many of which you don´t have any interest in.

*LoL* - this is the "funniest" reason for a web forum I ever heard.

The dial-up connections I know are paid per minute, so using a forum
will be *much* more expensive than the 5 minutes you need to download
your mails and 2 more minutes for sending your questions/replies.
(I did this over years: 56k modem and suse-linux mailinglist with up to
200 mails per day. No problem so far - but my new 2 MBit line is better
of couse ;-))

> - Familiarity. Almost everyone has visited a forum, and even
> participated in discussions on one.

Maybe. But even more people already have sent and received mail.
(Not necessarily via mailinglists, but I think that doesn't make a big
difference.)

I see another problem with forums:
People are familar with using their mail client - and can have *one*
mail client for all mailing lists.
For forums, you have *another* user interface for each forum and need to
login before posting. This sounds terrible to me, but maybe an average
newbie ;-) thinks different.

One (THE?) problem that people may have with mailinglists could be
filtering - if you don't, you will have a nice chaos in your inbox.
Maybe the subscribe page should contain a "survive with 200 mails/day
HOWTO" ;-)

If you want a forum - no problem. But don't expect me to be there ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
"And 1.1.81 is officially BugFree(tm), so if you receive any bug-reports
on it, you know they are just evil lies."               [Linus Torvalds]