Johannes Kastl wrote:

> On 1/26/2006 7:29 PM Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> There are various examples of this out there already, some good, some
>> bad.  At linuxprinting.org they run mailing-lists bi-dir gated to a
>> forum.  At isc.org they run mailing-lists bi-dir gated to a
>> newsgroup. gmane.org is probably the best-known example of gating
>> mailing-lists to
>> newsgroups (and a web-interface).  I personally bi-dir gate all my
>> mailing-lists with a news-server.
>>
>> If the webforum need is only about getting a different interface that
>> less tech-savvy people can better understand or work with, then I
>> don't
>> see a problem.  Just get going - it can't be that difficult bolting
>> on a webforum *slave* to the mailing-list *master*.
>
> I think the problem is IF they work properly...

OK, perhaps that can lead us on to a technical discussion.  I know for a
fact that a bi-dir setup between a mailing-list and a newserver works
really well.  I have about 100 mailing-lists gated with my news-server.
Given the appropriate webforum software, I see no technical reason why
the same thing can't be done with a webforum too.

I propose the following :

For each forum (categorised by language and/or subject), a mailing-list
will serve as the master.  That gives us an email-interface right away.
For convenience for those of us who are used to USENET, we add a
newsserver as a slave and for those of us who like the webforum style,
we add a webforum slave.
This is very much like what Lars Ingebrigtsen at gmane.org has already
done.

(I'm perfectly open to letting the news-server be the master instead of
the mailing-list, but I don't know how well it works).

/Per Jessen, Zürich